When you spend $99 or more
+ Free Delivery
Nikon D40X Digital SLR Camera + AF-S DX 18-55mm Lens
It is light weight, easy to use and a great first DSLR for beginners. While maintaining the compact size and portability of the D40 camera body, the D40X produces even more outstanding, detailed pictures thanks to its 10.2-megapixel CCD and cutting-edge digital technologies. Its resolution power makes it easy for users to print up very large sizes or crop aggressively without losing any fine details. The D40X is loaded with everything you need for truly amazing images: a 10.2-megapixel CCD, Nikon's exclusive 3D Colour Matrix Metering II, an improved Image Processing Engine and superb Auto White Balnce. Together with a world-famous Nikkor lens, these features combine to ensure perfect exposure, refined details and natural, vivid colours. RRP $1099. No longer available.
As this camera does not have a built-in focusing motor it is only AF compatible with AF-S and AF-I Nikkor lenses, which are equipped with an autofocus motor. However it will work with other Nikon lenses but in Manual Focus only.
This camera will only autofocus with Sigma lenses that have a designation of HSM (Hypersonic Motor) or that state “built-in motor for Nikon”.
This camera will only autofocus with Tamron lenses that state “built-in motor for Nikon”.
|What's in the box?||
Nikon D40x Digital SLR Camera
Nikkor AF-S 18-55mm DX Zoom Lens f/3.5-5.6G ED II
Quick Charger (MH-23) with AC Power Cord
Rechargeable Li-Ion Battery (EN-EL9)
Accessory Shoe Cover
CD-ROM - Picture Perfect
12 Month Warranty with Nikon Australia
To get started, DCW recommends....
Take your photography to the next level with these optional accessories
Click for products:
Chargers & Cables
Flashes & Lights
Full Specifications of the Nikon D40x Digital SLR Camera (from Nikon Australia)
|Type of Camera||Single-lens reflex digital camera|
|Effective Pixels||10.2 million|
|Image Sensor||RGB CCD, 23.6 x 15.8 mm; total pixels: 10.75 million, Nikon DX format|
|Image Size (Pixels)||3,872 x 2,592 [L], 2,896 x 1,944 [M], 1,936 x 1,296 [S]|
|Sensitivity||100 to 1,600 in steps of 1 EV with additional setting one step over 1600|
|Compressed NEF (RAW): 12-bit compression, JPEG: JPEG baseline compliant|
|File System||Exif 2.21, Compliant DCF 2.0 and DPOF|
|Storage Media||SD memory card, SDHC compliant|
|Shooting Modes||1) Single frame shooting mode, 2) Continuous shooting mode: approx. 3 frames per second, 3) Self-timer mode, 4) Delayed remote mode: 2 s. delay, 5) Quick-response remote mode|
|White Balance||Auto (TTL white-balance with 420-pixel RGB sensor), six manual modes with fine-tuning and preset white balance|
|LCD Monitor Size||2.5-in.|
|LCD Monitor||230,000-dot, low-temperature polysilicon TFT LCD with brightness adjustment|
|Playback Function||1) 1 frame; 2) Thumbnail (4 or 9 segments); 3) Magnifying playback; 4) Slide show; 5) Histogram indication; 6) Highlight point display; 7) Auto image rotation|
|Delete Function||1) Card format; 2) All frames delete; 3) Selected frames delete|
|I/O Terminal||Can be selected from NTSC and PAL|
|Interface||USB 2.0 (High-speed): Mass Storage and MTP/PTP selectable|
|Picture Angle||Equivalent in 35mm  format is approx. 1.5 times lens focal length|
|ViewFinder Type||Fixed-eyelevel penta-Dach mirror type; built-in diopter adjustment (-1.7 to +0.5m-1)|
|Eyepoint||18mm (-1.0 m-1)|
|Focusing Screen||Type B BriteView Clear Matte screen Mark V with superimposed focus brackets|
|Viewfinder Frame Coverage/ Magnification||Approx. 95% (vertical/horizontal) / Approx. 0.8x with 50mm lens at infinity; -1.0 m-1|
|Autofocus||TTL phase detection by Nikon Multi-CAM530 autofocus module with AF-assist (range approximately 0.5-3.0m/1ft. 8in.-9ft. 10in.); Detection range: -1 to +19 EV (ISO 100 at 20°C/68°F)|
|Focus Modes||1) Autofocus (AF): Instant single-servo AF (AF-S); continuous servo AF (AF-C); auto AF-S/AF-C selection (AF-A); predictive focus tracking automatically activated according to subject status, 2) Manual focus (M)|
|Focus Lock||Focus can be locked by pressing shutter-release button halfway (single-servo AF) or by pressing AE-L/AF-L button|
|Exposure Metering System||TTL full-aperture exposure metering system 1) 3D Color Matrix Metering II (type G and D lenses); Color Matrix Metering II (other CPU lenses); metering performed by 420-segment RGB sensor; 2) Center-weighted: Weight of 75% given to 8mm circle in center of frame; 3) Spot: Meters 3.5mm circle (about 2.5% of frame) centered on active focus area|
|Exposure Metering Range||1) 0 to 20 EV (3D Color Matrix or center-weighted metering), 2) 2 to 20 EV (spot metering)|
|Exposure Control||Digital Vari-program (Auto, Auto [Flash Off], Portrait, Landscape, Child, Sports, Close Up, Night Portrait), Programmed Auto (P) with flexible program; Shutter-Priority Auto (S); Aperture Priority Auto (A); Manual (M)|
|Auto Exposure Lock||Exposure locked at detected value with AE-L/AF-L button|
|Auto Exposure Bracketing||±5 EV in increments of 1/3 EV|
|Shutter||Electronically controlled vertical-travel focal plane shutter, 30 to 1/4000 s. in steps of 1/3 EV, bulb|
|Sync Contact||X-contact only; flash synchronization at up to 1/200 s.|
|Flash Control||1) TTL: TTL flash control by 420-pixel RGB sensor. i-TTL balanced fill-flash for digital SLR and standard i-TTL fill-flash for digital SLR available when CPU lens is used with built-in flash, SB-800, SB-600, and SB400, 2) Auto aperture: Available with SB-800 with CPU lens, 3) Non-TTL Auto: Available with Speedlights such as SB-800, 80DX, 80DX, 28DX, 28, 27, and 22s , 4) Range-priority manual available with SB-800|
|Flash Sync Modes||AUTO, Portrait, Child, Close Up: Auto, auto with red-eye reduction; fill-flash and red-eye reduction available with optional Speedlight; Night portrait mode: Auto, auto slow sync, auto slow sync with red-eye reduction; slow sync and slow sync with red-eye reduction available with optional Speedlight; Landscape, Sport mode: Fill-flash and red-eye reduction available with optional Speedlight; P, A: Fill flash, rear-curtain with slow sync, slow sync, slow sync with red-eye reduction, red-eye reduction; S, M: Fill flash, rear-curtain sync, red-eye reduction|
|Accessory Shoe||Standard ISO hot-shoe contact with sync, signal, and ground contacts and safety lock|
|Self-Timer||Electronically controlled timer with duration of 2, 5, 10 or 20 s.|
|Remote Control||Via Wireless Remote Control ML-L3 (optional)|
|Supported Languages||Total of 15 languages: German, English, Spanish, Finnish, French, Italian, Dutch, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Swedish, Traditional Chinese, Simplified Chinese, Japanese, and Korean|
|Power Requirements||Rechargeable Li-ion Battery EN-EL9|
|Battery Life||Up to 520 shots on a fully-charged battery|
|Tripod Socket||1/4 in. (ISO1222)|
|Dimensions||Approx. 126 x 64 x 94mm (5.0 x 2.5 x 3.7 in.)|
|Weight (without batteries)||Approx. 495g (1lb. 1oz.) without battery, memory card or body cap|
|Supplied Accessories (may differ by country or area)||Rechargeable Li-ion Battery EN-EL9, Quick Charger MH-23, USB Cable UC-E4, PictureProject, Rubber Eyecup DK-16, Camera Strap, Body Cap BF-1A, Eyepiece Cap DK-5, Accessory Shoe Cap BS-1|
Nikon’s smallest digital SLR combines a 10.2-megapixel CCD with a simple, intuitive operation.
Nikon Australia is pleased to announce the arrival of the D40X. Maintaining the compact size and portability of its sister model the D40, the D40X produces more outstanding and detailed pictures thanks to its 10.2-megapixel CCD and cutting-edge digital technologies.
Its resolution power makes it easy for users to print up very large sizes or crop aggressively without losing any fine details. The D40X is loaded with everything you need for truly amazing images: a 10.2-megapixel CCD, Nikon’s exclusive 3D Colour Matrix Metering II, an improved Image Processing Engine and superb Auto White Balance. Together with a world-famous Nikkor lens, these features combine to ensure perfect exposure, refined details and natural, vivid colours.
The D40X shares the D40’s ergonomic design and streamlined interface, which means the same intuitive operation that’s simple and fun – even for entry-level users. The bright and clear viewfinder ensures precise composition, while the 2.5-inch large LCD monitor utilises an easy-to-use menu system and a wide viewing angle so that everyone can navigate their settings and view their images with ease. There is also a handy built-in Help menu which, makes it easier for users to navigate their way around the camera and provides useful information on the cameras key features.
The D40X near-instant power-up time (0.18 second) along with fast, reliable responses help photographers act on the moment, while the continuous shooting mode lets photographers easily capture up to 100 JPEG images of action at as fast as 3 frames per second. The camera’s razor-sharp autofocus ensures crisp images for a wide variety of photographic scenes ensuring users capture amazing images effortlessly.
Flash photography is simple with the D40X because the camera employs Nikon’s
market-leading i-TTL flash control, which evaluates ideal flash exposure automatically and accurately, even in difficult lighting situations.
Eight Digital Vari-Program modes offer creative shooting options that are optimised for common shooting situations. Fun, fast and simple, they are as easy to use as rotating the mode dial. For further control over aperture and shutter speed, P/S/A/M modes are also available.
Exclusive in-camera image editing features are available in the Retouch menu. One of the main features is Nikon’s exceptional D-lighting, which brings out details usually lost in underexposed areas of an image while retaining the proper exposure in brighter areas. Photographers can also correct red-eye easily, or use Monochrome effects to change an image to Black-and-white, Sepia tone or Cyanotype.
Some of the D40X’s major improvements include an even longer-lasting battery that allows up to 520 images per charge (470 images* for the D40), faster continuous shooting at 3 frames per second (2.5 fps for the D40) and a wider ISO sensitivity of 100 to 1600, plus HI-1 (200 to 1600 plus HI-1 for the D40).
While it inherits many advanced digital and optical technologies from professional models, the D40X and its sister model, the D40, are Nikon’s smallest, most compact digital SLR cameras. By offering everyone mobility, ease-of-use and incredible pictures with great resolution, the D40X welcomes everyone to the world of Nikon digital SLR photography.
Reviews of the Nikon D40X: Review at http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond40x/
D40X Major Features - Intuitive, simple and trouble-free operation
· The most compact Nikon digital SLR ever, featuring intuitive controls and ergonomics designed for everyone.
· A large 2.5-inch LCD monitor with easy-to-view menus, large fonts and careful colour schemes for easy preview and setting changes.
· Bright and clear viewfinder with 0.8x magnification for precise composition.
· Long-life rechargeable lithium-ion battery that allows up to 520 images* on a single charge (*CIPA standards).
· Handy assist images that help photographers select the right camera settings.
· Optional Wireless Remote Control ML-L3 for easy remote shutter release.
Superior image quality and resolution
· 10.2-effective-megapixel Nikon DX Format CCD imaging sensor, producing 3,872 x 2,592-pixel images.
· High-precision digital image processing algorithms for natural-looking pictures with faithful colour and tone reproduction.
· Nikon 3D Colour Matrix Metering II for ideal exposures in almost any lighting condition.
· Variable Centre-weighted metering and Spot metering centered on the active focus area.
· Auto White Balance for natural colours, plus six different manual white balance settings and user-defined preset white balance.
Fast and precise responses
· Quick 0.18-sec. power-up to respond to every photographic opportunity.
· Fast continuous shooting mode enables up to 100 JPEG images (FINE L-size or smaller) at 3 frames* per second.
*The fastest frame rates can be achieved by choosing manual focus, rotating the mode dial to S or M and selecting a shutter speed of 1/250 s. or faster, using defaults for all other settings.
· Advanced three-area AF system and refined algorithms for fast, efficient and precise autofocus.
· Versatile shutter speed control ranging from 30s to 1/4000s, plus bulb.
Accurate automated and manual control for predictable results
· Eight Digital Vari-Programs that adjust camera settings automatically for incredible scene-specific pictures. Selections include Auto, Auto (Flash Off), Portrait, Landscape, Child, Sports, Close Up, and Night Portrait.
· Manual controls over shutter and aperture: P (Programmed Auto), S (Shutter-priority Auto), A (Aperture-priority Auto) and M (Manual).
· Automatic and manual control over ISO sensitivity from ISO 100 to 1600, as well as HI 1 (manual only).
· Simultaneous recording of NEF (RAW) and JPEG basic data for the same image.
· Built-in Flash with Nikon’s dependable i-TTL flash control, supporting Auto flash, Red-eye reduction, Slow sync, Rear curtain sync and Flash exposure compensation.
Retouch Menu for creative in-camera image edits and effects
· Selections include D-lighting, Red-eye correction, Trim, Monochrome (Black-and-white, Sepia, Cyanotype), Filter effects (Skylight, Warm filter, Colour balance), Small picture and Image overlay.
Seamless integration with Nikon Total Digital Imaging System
· Fully compatible (autofocus is supported) with AF-S and AF-I Nikkor lenses, which are equipped with an autofocus motor (Also compatible with most of the world-famous F-mount Nikkor lenses when in manual focus mode).
· Supports the Nikon Creative Lighting System when using the SB-800, SB-600, SB-400 SB-R200 or the R1C1 Wireless Close-Up Speedlight system for accurate exposures via iTTL flash and versatile wireless operation.
· Nikon’s PictureProject software to share, organise and edit pictures with ease.
· Capture NX software (available separately) for creative photo editing with NEF (RAW), JPEG and TIFF images. Thanks to U Point™ technology, by Nik Software, radical and subtle image enhancements are as easy as a few clicks.
Our Store Locations
360 Kent St
174 Canterbury Rd
367 High St
524 Ipswich Rd
© Copyright 2001 - 2017; Digital Camera Warehouse Pty Ltd,
ABN-31 510 583 734. All rights reserved. All brands, logos, images and names are trademarks of their respective companies. Images used are for illustrative purposes only and may not be identical to the product supplied.
Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane